BTRTG

EATBA

One World, One Love, One Community

Make A Better World For Our Children

Millions of people need your help. Do your part by donating to charitable organizations that feed the hungry and educate young minds.

Born To Return The Gift

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Honoring Different Perceptions of Born To Return The Gift

After completely reading my debut novel again, in light of the constructive criticism received, the following revisions have been made to 'Born To Return The Gift.

I realize that my effort to project the racing thoughts of the protagonist through the third person pov, as if the condition was contagious, was evidently a mistake in judgment.  Punctuation has been added to change the pace.  The paragraphs of explicit sex have been eliminated to leave it to the reader's imagination, realizing for this piece of work, less is more.  Also, there are some areas which will be expanded upon briefly, or rewritten for clarification.

I sincerely thank each reviewer, (except one who said the book was a joke-lol), for their insightful comments.  Each has helped me improve on what I believe is definitely worthwhile reading. With the revised version I will now have others to acknowledge.

Considerable thought has been given to the idea of changing the cover, but I've decided to let it stand as is.  I understand that some may perceive the art to erroneously lead one to believe the book belongs in the horror genre, but it is definitely a faith based novel.  The abstract of God's hands reaching to restore hope to the woman who has been through the 'fire', and her nudity is a symbolization of total surrender to depict the baring of her soul. There is a demonic element in the story, but the protagonist had to be forced to acknowledge her dark side in order to appreciate the light. Light obliterates darkness and no matter how much knowledge we acquire through psychology, or any other science, NOTHING precludes the significance of God.

The revised book will be available in July. I hope many of you will consider giving it a read. For all those of you who will, I thank you for supporting my effort to demonstrate a facet of life and the pitfalls that face many of us in one way or another.

1 comment:

sirkeystone said...

Don't let the reviews jar you too much. This is a good reason however, to have a critique partner or two, and then after a separate editor (I know, they cost money that I don't have either), then release it as a BETA, possibly for free to let people give a critique from a reader's perspective. It sounds like this is what has happened to you, and it has happened to me too. My next book is getting ready to drop into BETA after an extensive rewrite this spring. My critique partner tore it apart.

Anyway, take even the good comments and reviews with a grain of salt. As much damage can be done with a flat "Oh, it was wonderful" as can be a "I'll never read another thing from this author" Sometimes it might be best not to even look at the reviews. I take them too personally myself, so I have to ignore them.

Anyway good luck, and i found you through the Authors with purpose group on FB. Hit me up on Twitter(@sirkeystone) sometime for a chat if you'd like, I'm definitely interested in your work. I love weaving a spiritual element into an otherwise mainstream work, myself.