BTRTG

EATBA

One World, One Love, One Community

Make A Better World For Our Children

Millions of people need your help. Do your part by donating to charitable organizations that feed the hungry and educate young minds.

Born To Return The Gift

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Smashwords Interview


Where did you grow up, and how did this influence your writing?

I grew up in Connecticut during the fifties and sixties. The first time I was called the 'N' word was a memory I haven't forgotten to this day. I I was only about eight or nine years old. Although I didn't understand the implication, I felt it was something bad because it hurt my feelings and made me feel less than the person who spit that derogatory name out at me. As I grew older I consciously learned about what was happening across the country, particularly in the South; and always felt that people should just let people be people without categorizing them on the basis of the color of their skin and what side of the tracks they lived on. My characters lived in my mind for a long time before I started writing about them, but eventually I felt compelled to tell a story with the hope that something good, empowering, and provoking could be gleaned from it. The book became cumbersome so I split it into two separate books. That's how 'Born To Return The Gift' and 'End All To Be All' evolved.

What do your fans mean to you?

LOL - The few I think I may have are mostly silent, outside of a few posted reviews; but they mean everything to my growth and improvement as a writer.

Who are your favorite authors?

I've never considered that question because the spectrum is numerous - (i.e., From Toni Morrison to John Grisham.)

What inspires you to get out of bed each day?

The fact that when God's Will opens my eyes I have the mobility of my limbs to get out of bed.. I'm very grateful to be a two year cancer survivor.

Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?

Yes, It was for a college creative writing class. It was a twelve page long paper about a young man who was gunned down by a rival gang member. The professor chose my paper to be read in class and encouraged me to expand on it for a novel. I haven't gotten to that yet.

How do you approach cover design?

I envision it according to the content and subject matter of the book.

What are your five favorite books, and why?

HOLY BIBLE ; SEAT OF THE SOUL - GARY ZUKAV; THE WARMTH OF OTHER SUNS - ISABEL WILKERSON; WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES - CLARISSA PINKOLA ESTES ;  and HOPE ON A TIGHT ROPE - CORNEL WEST
These books are chosen because of the inspiration, affirmation, hope and empowerment they all inspire within me.

Describe your desk

Contemporary metal and glass 'L' design. Although it is well organized it gets pretty cluttered at times because I'm always writing notes on my thoughts about different things I see, read, or hear about and the paper sometimes piles up in a mess.

When did you first start writing?

I use to write song lyrics now and then back in the seventies. During that time I also had to write a paper for a final grade for a humanities class, Later when I recognized my work with my teacher's name attached to it, seeing it in print was a temporary affirmation that I might have talent; but I never felt the desire or inclination to really write anything other than to take care of business. Although here and there some people have suggested that I write a book somehow I always thought the underlying message was that maybe I talked too much. LOL - Anyway, in 2007 I had a lot of time on my hands due to health reasons, and I felt compelled to write. My effort resulted in 'Born To Return The Gift' and 'End All To Be All'.

No comments: